Our Herringbone Gear Capabilities
- Diameter: Max 60 inch
- Face Width: Max 18 inch
- Diametral Pitch: Min 16 DP Max 2 DP
- Gear Finishing Methods: Conventional Cut, Lapping For Double Helicals, see the Spurs/Helicals page
Circle Gear & Machine Co. has been a trusted manufacturer of herringbone gears since purchasing our first herringbone machines in 1994.
What is a Herringbone Gear?
Herringbone gears are a type of double helical gear that features a unique tooth structure consisting of adjoining, opposite helixes that appear to create a V shape. Unlike helical gears, they do not create an axial load. However, similarly to helical gears, they transfer power smoothly because more than two teeth are enmeshed at once.
How Do Herringbone Gears Work?
The smooth, precisely manufactured V-shaped teeth on herringbone gears mate them together. Since multiple teeth are engaged in the rotation process, the workload is more evenly distributed, offering quiet operation. Due to the reciprocal arrangement of the helixes, each side creates an opposing axial force that cancels the other out, preventing axial thrusts. There are two ways to manufacture the gear set’s teeth: so that one tooth-tip aligns with the opposite tooth-tip, or so that one tooth-tip aligns with the tooth trough on the opposite gear.
Herringbone Gear Applications
Since herringbone gears have a complicated production process and are challenging to cut, their use is limited to special applications, such as in large transmissions. Some of the most common herringbone gear applications include:
- Heavy machinery
- Torque gearboxes
- Heavy-duty vehicles
- Gas turbines
- The transmission of high torque
Additionally, the herringbone gear was a key step in the introduction of steam turbines to marine propulsion.
Herringbone Gear Advantages
The herringbone gear’s unique design creates numerous advantages. For example, they combine the high load capacity of helical gears with the lack of axial forces seen in spur gears. Herringbone gears also deliver smooth power transfer, since multiple teeth are enmeshed together at once. Their relatively long tooth length allows them to transmit high torques due to the inclination the design creates. Additionally, the side thrust of one half is balanced by the opposing half, allowing them to be used in torque gearboxes without needing a substantial thrust bearing.
Herringbone Gear Capablities
Circle Gear & Machine Co. offers extensive herringbone gear manufacturing capabilities and is prepared to meet your production demands with whatever your application requires:
- Diameter: Max 60 inches
- Diametrical pitch: Min 16 DP, Max 2 DP
- Module: 20
- Face width: Max 18 inches
- General capabilities: As needed, production, contract, just-in-time, small parts
- Primary capabilities: Die forming, heat treating, machining, finishing
- Materials: Acetal/Delrin, aluminum, alloy steel, bronze, brass, carbon steel, gray cast iron, ductile iron, plastic, nylon, phenolic, polyester, polycarbonate, stainless steel
- Industry focus: Automotive, biotechnology, chemical, construction, electrical, electronics, food processing, HVAC, machinery, marine, medical, mining, nuclear, oil, gas, petroleum, optical, packaging, pharmaceutical, plumbing, pneumatics, pulp & paper, pumps, semiconductor
- Shaft feature: Flat, hex
- Gear cutting methods: Broaching, climb hobbing, conventional hobbing, flame cutting, milling, shaping
- Gear forming methods: Centrifugal casting, die casting, forging, sand casting
- Gear finishing methods: Conventional cut, lapping
- Heat treatment methods: Carburizing, flame, induction, nitriding
- Production volume: Specialty production shop, prototype, low volume, small run, high volume, large run, long run, large scale production volume
Contact Circle Gear & Machine Co.
Herringbone gears offer efficient, high-capacity power transmission and are particularly useful in demanding heavy-duty applications. At Circle Gear & Machine Co., our skilled team crafts quality herringbone gears, including Sykes-cut herringbone gears, from our 46,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facility. Upon completion, all of our products undergo rigorous quality control testing in compliance with ISO 9001:2008. To learn more about our herringbone gear production capabilities, contact us today. To get started on your next project, request a quote.
Custom Herringbone Gears Capabilities
|General Capabilities||As Needed|
|Primary Capabilities||Die Forming|
|Gray Cast Iron
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
Oil, Gas, Petroleum
Pulp & Paper
|Gear Cutting Method||Broaching|
|Gear Forming Method||Centrifugal Casting
|Gear Finishing Methods||Lapping
|Heat Treatment Methods||Carburizing|
|Production Volume||Specialty Production Shop|
Large Scale Production Volume Run